Horwich Golf Club
Client: Horwich Golf Club
Contract Period: 2011 to date
ISS was awarded the contract at Horwich Golf Course following a one-to-one negotiation process, as a result of ISSís ability to offer added value, an improved specification and a bespoke financial package which included asset purchase and transfer of staff.
Works Carried Out
The core works comprise course maintenance to greens, tees, fairways, roughs, deep roughs and bunkers. Also included is a full grounds maintenance service to the club’s amenity areas and car park.
The primary services delivered include mowing; hand cutting of the tees and greens; shrub bed maintenance; scarifying; top dressing; fertilising; repairing ball marks and divots; decompaction; pesticide management, aeration and drainage programmes; selected weed control; litter control and minor tree works.
The Club’s Annual Open Day coincided with the contract commencement date and saw ISS deploy additional resources to ensure that the course was prepared to the highest standard. The ISS team verti cut, top dressed and fed all greens; hand cut greens and tees (this is now incorporated within the work programme); fed all tees and surrounds; carried out reinstatement works to the club house and amenity areas (including mulching to beds); strimmed throughout all ditches and watercourses; reshaped all bunker edges and topped with sand; divoted throughout; reinstated markers; and installed ISS branded course furniture and flags.
- Value for money is a key consideration to the partnership and in previous years the course had suffered due to lack of resource and investment. As part of an individual bespoke package, ISS offered a financial programme which transferred the machinery and equipment assets, both improving cash flow and eliminating the onerous maintenance costs to the club. Similarly, the club’s staff were TUPE transferred to ISS, together with the associated risk, cutting fixed costs and generating revenue.
- Continuous improvement is high on the partnership agenda and the need for additional support was established early with a seasonal operative being recruited shortly after contract commencement.
- Site and staff are audited on a regular basis to ensure the best quality and standards are being delivered at all times and in line with current legislation. Using the audits as guidance, monthly work programmes are drafted with input from all levels of the contract. This allows ISS to identify potential problem areas and operational improvements in a pro-active manner.
- ISS has implemented a mandatory internal training programme, which includes courses such as environmental awareness, manual handling and safety in the workplace; all staff receive full training and regular refreshers. Detailed risk assessments have also been implemented to ensure safer working practices.
- ISS offer added value to the client through continuous improvement, which more often than not is subsequently built into the routine maintenance, with no additional cost. Areas of the site are infested with Japanese Knotweed and an eradication programme has been introduced to deal with this as part of our added value commitment.
- Environmental Initiatives are to include a programme of tree planting during the winter season. This programme has been put in place to restore local degraded habitats.
“In the recent financial climate Horwich Golf Club has suffered like many golf clubs, and has seen membership numbers fall year after year. In March 2011, the Club took the option of ‘joining forces’ with ISS for an initial three year grounds contract for the maintenance of the golf course and grounds. ISS also employed the greens staff and took on the responsibility for the Club’s machinery, as well as adding their own machines that the Club was in need of. From Day One, and throughout the season, ISS has given an excellent service in their first year, in preparing and maintaining the golf course. As Greens Chairman I have been dealing with all departments of ISS employees on a regular basis and have always found them to be very helpful and courteous. ISS has managed to take away a lot of the financial strain from the club and provided the members with a course to a high standard throughout the season. Horwich Golf Club looks forward to many more years of working alongside ISS.”
Julian Farrimond, Greens Chairman
Horwich Golf Club
Click to view enlargement
If you would like to find out more about ISS Landscaping, please contact us